There won’t be a weekly weigh-in this week (or next week for that matter). I am not on my best behavior and I am going to Disneyland Paris this weekend so I already know what the scale is going to say. Something along the lines of: ‘I hate you, leave me alone! Get back to me when you’re slimmer again, selfish bastard!’. So I figured, why not upset the scale a little more? And that’s why I decided to bake some homemade cereal bar cookies I found on the blog ‘Once a Month Mom‘ by Tricia. Most of the recipe will look exactly like Tricia’s though I did make a few tweaks.
What do you need?
- 1 cup of butter, softened
- 1,5 cup of oats, ground (or oat flour)
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2,5 tablespoons of apple sauce
- 9 ounces or 255 grams of jam (any kind you like, I used blueberry jam)
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 176 degrees Celcius.
- Step 2: Use a muffin tin and add paper muffin cups or grease the cups with butter or cooking spray.
- Step 3: If you don’t have oat flour in your pantry simply grind 1,5 cup of oats with a foodprocessor. It might take a while but it’s worth it!
- Step 4: Mix all the ingredients, except for the jam, with your hands. If the ingredients don’t stick together add a little more apple sauce, it will do the trick.
- Step 5: Use 3/4 of your dough to fill the bottom of the cups.
- Step 6: Create a dent in the dough and fill it with a little bit of jam.
- Step 7: Take the rest of your dough and put it on top of the jam. Be careful, you don’t want the jam to seep out.
- Step 8: Bake the cookies for about 20 to 25 minutes and let it cool down a bit. Now it’s time to attack them!
Are you unable to eat all the cookies before they go bad? Or do you love to mealprep? Then don’t throw these cookies away, freeze them! Simply let the cookies cool off, put them in a ziplock bag or Tupperware box (wrap them in wax paper first so they won’t stick to each other) and put them in the freezer. When you want to use them you can thaw them overnight or as Tricia suggests place them in a microwave and heat them for 30 seconds to 1 minute. The jam will be hot though so be careful when you try this out!
Enjoy or as we say in the Netherlands: ‘eet smakelijk’!
When you’re craving for cookies what do you reach for?
Don’t forget to follow me by using your favorite social media tool. If you’re not a fan of social media, but would like to follow “The journey to my personal legend”, scroll down the page and click on the ‘sign me up!’ button. After this you will receive updates by mail.